Summer term is the only time when you are allowed to stay in the US and not be enrolled in classes.
You are not allowed to take a different term off during the academic year, and still remain in the US.
Leaves of Absence
Contact your international student advisor to talk about any of these topics related to taking a term off:
- An emergency where you may need to return home unexpectedly during the academic year
- Whether to take a term off
- The process of taking a term off
Consequences of Leaving
Should you choose to leave the university during the academic year, there could be serious consequences.
These include possible losses of:
- F-1 benefits
- Curricular Practical Training (internships)
- Optional Practical Training (OPT)