If you are an J-1 student working in a paid position, you must apply for a social security number. This will ensure you can receive a paycheck and pay the appropriate taxes.

1. Find a Position

You are not eligible to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) until you have secured an on-campus job or a paid academic training position.

2. Apply

Bring your documents to the Social Security Administration (SSA), including:

  • DS-2019
  • Valid passport
  • J-1 visa
  • Most recent I-94 record
  • Enrollment Letter from Student Academic Services
  • Proof of work authorization
SSN Denial Letter

In instances where a SSN is asked for, such as applying for a driver’s license, you must go through the application process for an SSN - but request for a SSN Denial Letter instead.